4.5 Million Orphans in Iraq: Protests Over Food and Shelter

February 22, 2011

4.5 Million Orphans in Iraq: Protests Over Food and Shelter

Orphans join Iraq protests over food, shelter. Orphans join protests in Iraq to call for a better standard of living. Deborah Lutterbeck reports.

BAGHDAD — Fadel Mohammad Ra'ad, 10, is one of thousands of children who have lost their parents to the endless violence that has been gripping Iraq since the 2003 US-led invasion.

"My parents were killed in an explosion at the center of Baghdad last year, leaving me and my sister to no one," the child told IslamOnline.net in a Baghdad orphanage. "I have relatives but all of them have refused to take us in," he added choking at the memory. "We were forced to work to survive."

Children, like many other civilians, are the silent victims of violence in war-torn Iraq. "Violence in Iraq has vast characteristics. Sectarian violence, resistance against US troops, traditional behaviors and the fight against the hungry," explains Haydar Hassan Kareem, a sociologist.

The Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs estimate that around 4,5 million children are orphans. Nearly 70 percent of them lost their parents since the invasion and the ensuing violence. From the total number, around 600,000 children are living in the streets without a house or food to survive. Only 700 children are living in the 18 orphanages existing in the country, lacking their most essential needs.

"Unfortunately the budget allocated to projects that help street children and orphans is decreasing day in and day out," notes an Iraqi Red Crescent employee refusing to give his name. "Worse still, almost no NGO is dedicating itself to this group of kids who are subject to trafficking and sexual abuses in the streets."

Comments

2011 / 09 / 29
Kimberly Huey says:

I am looking for a trusted NGO in Iraq to donate small increments of money (30%) of paintings I am doing to raise money and awareness for Iraqi orphans. I have a few paintings on my facebook and have sold one, but plan on doing an opening show/ auction and making as much as possible. I have emailed a few NGO's but have not heard back from anyone.

2012 / 01 / 06
Zahraa Marhoon says:

@ Kimberly Huey, I dont know whether your question is answered or not but i know few organisations (ngo) that collect money for orphans in Iraq. One of them has been established by my sister with this facebook page: www.facebook.com/Iraqi.Orphans
Please let us know if your still interested, maybe we can work together.

2012 / 06 / 15
Dina says:

Dear Zahraa and Kimberly,

Please visit our Facebook group "Road to Heaven", which is dedicated to Iraqi Orphans. Also, please let us know how can we collaborate or help.

Dina

2012 / 07 / 26
Qamar says:

How can I help ? I want to help !!!

2012 / 12 / 20
amouria says:

Same question. I am searching for trusted ngo to donate for Iraqi orphanage. But so far, I could not find. I would love to know a trusted one.

2014 / 06 / 22
lucasleonardocabangca says:

Unfortunately the budget allocated to projects that help street children and orphans is decreasing day in and day out. - Bernadine Fried

2014 / 06 / 22
lucasleonardocabangca says:

2014 / 10 / 08
Mrs Khan says:

Hi,
here is a websit to donate to Iraqi orphans, this organisation is a non-profit NGO and best part is it has 0% admin fees therefore full amount of your donations go directly to the orphans

there are various methods to donate and you can choose a project to donate to

I hope this helps

Warm regards

Mrs Khan

2015 / 02 / 16
davidjohn says:

This who manipulating and given the military the order to use this most terribel poisen on innecent humans is beyond comprihantions.But the german nation after 62 yrs still are branded holocousters?this bastards not only destroy human life also destroing the enviroment for thousends of years.Hypocracy thats all I can say. buy youtube views and likes

2015 / 02 / 18
JackEskin says:

Only 700 children are living in the 18 orphanages existing in the country, lacking their most essential needs.Loft conversions Chiswick

2015 / 02 / 18
JackEskin says:

Only 700 children are living in the 18 orphanages existing in the country, lacking their most essential needs.z6 gmaes

2015 / 02 / 19
JackEskin says:

We Are Offering Manual DoFollow Blog Comments From Actual Page Rank!For Only $ 5 $. Try Our Service Once, And You Would Never Want To Go To Any Other Blog Commenting Provider.best gig of fiverr from blog commenting service

2015 / 02 / 21
JackEskin says:

I have emailed a few NGO's but have not heard back from anyone. Loft conversions Hanwell

2015 / 02 / 21
VliasF0x says:

I have been interested in this topic for quite some time. I have been researching it for a couple of hours and found your post to be very interesting. Cheers.
best dui attorney in tucson arizona

2015 / 02 / 24
JackEskin says:

relatives but all of them have refused to take us in," he added choking at the memory. "We were forced to work to survive."http://www.panama.ua

2015 / 02 / 28
Davidjohn says:

A leucina é essencial para o crescimento como um estimulador de síntese de proteínas no músculo. Embora encontrada em certos alimentos, muitas vezes você encontra-lo como parte de uma mistura de aminoácidos essenciais ou de cadeia ramificada fórmula de fortalecimento muscular. turbo force

2015 / 03 / 11
JackEskin says:

I have emailed a few NGO's but have not heard back from anyone. Loft conversions Putney

2015 / 03 / 16
Davidjohn says:

I have emailed a few NGO's but have not heard back from anyone. psd to html

2015 / 03 / 25
jackman30 says:

kids who are subject to trafficking and sexual abuses in the streets." Loft conversions Wandsworth

2015 / 03 / 28
BlackMen says:

children who have lost their parents to the endless violence that has been gripping Iraq since the 2003 US-led invasion.girlfriend system examples

2015 / 04 / 02
jackman301 says:

have refused to take us in," he added choking at the memory. "We were forced to work to survive." north london van hire

2015 / 04 / 02
BlackMen says:

IslamOnline.net in a Baghdad orphanage. "I have relatives but all of them have refused to take us in," he added choking at the memory. "We were forced to work to survive."stamped concrete pool deck ma

2015 / 04 / 06
jackman301 says:

that has been gripping Iraq since the 2003 US-led invasion. proceed here

2015 / 04 / 11
jackman30 says:

children who have lost their parents to the endless violence that has been gripping Iraq since the 2003 US-led invasion. loft conversions london

2015 / 04 / 12
PioneerSEO says:

The best part is you do not need any experience to do this job. The jobs are there but just knowing about them is not enough. Instead, you have to know where to find the jobs and you have to be introduced.real translator jobs review

2015 / 04 / 12
jackman30 says:

who have lost their parents to the endless violence that has been gripping Iraq since the 2003 US-led invasion. time tracking app

2015 / 04 / 13
BlackMen says:

children who have lost their parents to the endless violence that has been gripping Iraq since the 2003 US-led invasion.property

2015 / 05 / 12
jackman30 says:

but all of them have refused to take us in," he added choking at the memory. "We were forced to work to survive." loft conversions london

2015 / 05 / 13
BlackMen says:

Fadel Mohammad Ra'ad, 10, is one of thousands of children who have lost their parents to the endless violence that has been gripping Iraq since the 2003 US-led invasion.rebelmouse com

2015 / 05 / 24
pioneerseo says:

Just when you think you are getting somewhere, they have an accident again and you are back to square one.puestos más populares

2015 / 05 / 27
pioneerseo says:

Below you will find the important facts and figures I feel every consumer should know surrounding Glenn Richard's Flat Abs for Life book and complete guide for taking necessary precautions and improve weight loss simultaneously. here

2015 / 05 / 29
jackman30 says:

call for a better standard of living. Deborah Lutterbeck reports. Loft conversions Hammersmith

2015 / 06 / 12
BlackMen says:

Only 700 children are living in the 18 orphanages existing in the country, lacking their most essential needs.condos for sale by owner

2015 / 06 / 12
BlackMen says:

guide for taking necessary precautions and improve weight loss simultaneously.. bungalow for sale by owner

2015 / 06 / 14
BlackMen says:

On top of this trip making me a better person and Christian, I met great people and made great friends.voyance web

2015 / 06 / 14
BlackMen says:

admissions arrangements as they should. voyance web

2015 / 06 / 20
BlackMen says:

We were forced to work to survive.High quality expired domains

2015 / 06 / 25
Aleen Men says:

I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Twitter

2015 / 06 / 25
BlackMen says:

who have lost their parents to the endless violence that has been gripping Iraq since the 2003 US-led invasion.Cat Toys

2015 / 06 / 28
facebook pva says:

I give you quality USA Phone verified accounts with guarantee in very cheap price. I have been doing this for many years and joined here to expand my reach and further develop my career. Feel free to ask me any questions about my service. facebook pva

2015 / 07 / 01
BlackMen says:

their parents to the endless violence that has been gripping Iraq since the 2003 US-led invasion.kronopol