The Obama Syndrome

Tariq Ali
November 23, 2011

The Obama Syndrome

In this Perth Writers Festival talk, Tariq Ali argues that very little has changed since George W. Bush left the White House -- especially when it comes to foreign affairs.

Writer and filmmaker Tariq Ali has written seven novels and over 20 books on world history and politics (including The Clash of Fundamentalisms, Bush in Babylon, Pirates of the Caribbean , The Duel and The Obama Syndrome). He has also penned a number of plays for stage and screen. He currently worked as an editor for New Left Review.

Presented by the Perth Writers Festival, March 2011

2011 / 12 / 03
Mike Corbeil says:

Very good 5-part interview video.

But :

In what I believe to recall is part 3 of 5, I wonder what Tariq Ali means when briefly mentioning Margaret Thatcher, an Indian female leader, Mrs Singh, and some other female leader. I guess that he's not meaning to say that these people were good leaders, but am not sure, based on his very brief reference to these people. I don't know of Margaret Thatcher being any role model, not in any good way, anyway; and don't recall having read anything good about Mrs or Ms Singh.

From what I've gathered, Margaret Thatcher is war criminal and also has been complicit in gun trafficking. How she was complicit in the latter is not something I recall in detail, but there's a vague recollection of having read that she was associated with international trafficking of arms or weapons.

Ms or Mrs Singh is someone I've seen less mention of, but I don't recall having read anything favourable about her when she was a political "leader".

2012 / 01 / 21
Mitchell says:

Deep thgohut! Thanks for contributing.

2015 / 05 / 20
clashclans says:

I have gathered so many free clash of clans gems with the help of clash of clans gems generator.
I think we could not find any other more better way to get clash of clans gems generator thats why I decided to get free clash of clans gems from this page tool.

2015 / 08 / 10
JJohn says:

The bustling area of Delhi NCR offers many experiences with its distinct places of interest. However, to getaway from the pressures and demands of the hurried life, many opt to sojourn at the charming resorts in Delhi, Gurgaon, Manesar. There are several options to choose from; be it adventure camps, hillock stays, heritage hotels or wellness spas.

2015 / 08 / 10
Tim says:

The Treehouse Nests finely blend the comforts and luxuries of a five star room with nature in its pristine prime. Perched atop " keekar" trees , the Tree house resort
have several live branches running through the rooms making nature omnipresent in the Lap of luxury.

2015 / 10 / 03
julie says:

Great Vidéo

2015 / 10 / 20
steamwallet2543 says:

Great video friends, I have found a very special tool from such amazing video which would be able to provide you free steam wallet codes for you and you could get this amazing tool at this website