Pritzker Military Library Presents:
Social Responsibility and National Security: Towards a New NATO
NATO Summit Chicago: Demonstrators and NATO Experts
May 17th, 2012
A debate with a live audience (May 17, 2012) at the Pritzker Military Library in Chicago, Illinois.
In describing the debate, moderator Richard E. Friedman of the National Strategy Forum, a non-partisan, non-profit organization in Chicago said, "The webcast is of national and international interest because of the Chicago NATO Summit May 20-21, 2012. A substantial number of demonstrators will be in Chicago protesting NATO's institutional objectives. The panelists, including both demonstrators and NATO experts, will discuss NATO's relationship to the Transatlantic Alliance and international security. The demonstrators seek to present their petition of grievances to the public and to NATO. We are providing a forum for reasoned discussion."
The panelists are:
· Rick Rozoff (Stop NATO): Rick Rozoff is the organizer for Stop NATO. Stop NATO examines, from an adversarial position, the expansion of the NATO Stop NATO's orientation is anti-militarist.
· Iris Feliciano (Iraq Veterans Against the War): Iris Feliciano is a member of IVAW. She served in the Marine Corps on Active Duty from 1996 to 2005 and on Reserve Duty from 2006 to 2010.
· Ambassador J.D. Bindenagel: Ambassador (Ret.) J.D. Bindenagel is a former U.S. Ambassador and career diplomat who served in Germany during the end of the Cold War, and was involved in debates on NATO security policy and membership.
· Professor John Allen Williams: John Allen Williams, Ph.D. is Professor of Political Science at Loyola University Chicago. He is a retired Captain in the U.S. Naval Reserve and served with the NATO Inter-Allied Confederation of Reserve Officers (CIOR).
· Moderator: Richard E. Friedman: Richard Friedman is President of the National Strategy Forum. He also serves as Counselor to the American Bar Association Standing Committee on Law and National Security. Mr. Friedman was an Air Force Officer during the Korean War, and served on the Army Science Board.